The town is situated next to Coll de Nargó following the C-14 road to the North. It is considered an important town within the Alt Urgell county. It preserves part of its old walled town. Major Street preserves a Gothic portal and the defence tower.
In 1904, the famous Homilies -the oldest prose documents written in Catalan, from the 12th century- were found in the rectory.