Ogern Bridge – Romanesque and Gothic Architecture in Bassella
A long time ago, Ogern Bridge served as a crossing point over the Ribera Salada, linking Ogern and Oliana with Madrona. It was originally the only bridge in the area. It is difficult to exactly date the structure; it could be part of the Romanesque or Gothic traditions.
Francisco de Zamora, in his tour of 1789 stated who it must have been built by: “there is – in Ogern – a four arch bridge constructed at the expense of Don Antonio Pongem, a merchant from Barcelona”. It originally had four arches, of which only two remain, on the river’s right bank. Only the foundations remain of the rest.
The bridge sits on an uneven slope that grows from right to left, so the arches were made higher and larger to balance the difference in height between the two banks.
The bridge slopes over the water, possibly to secure it in the place where there are rocks in the river and to better resist the force of the water. The pillars are made from regular ashlar, as are the voussoirs, which are rather large. The stone ashlars are mixed with the river pebbles.
It is difficult to exactly date the structure; it could be part of the Romanesque or Gothic traditions.